The University of California, Riverside
Transforming Engineers into Leaders
If you’re seeking to elevate your technical expertise and take on leadership roles in today’s global workplace, the UC Riverside online Master of Science in Engineering can deliver the highly calibrated balance of scientific and business knowledge to help you reach your goals. Unlike most Master of Engineering Management degrees, our M.S. in Engineering doesn’t abandon the roots of technical engineering, but instead supplements high-level engineering coursework with critical business concepts to give you versatility within the industry.
Why our online M.S. in Engineering?
- Complete your coursework 100% online with no required residencies, and graduate in as few as 13 months.
- Choose from six distinct specializations in Data Science, Materials at the Nanoscale, Environmental Engineering Systems (Water), Bioengineering, Electrical Engineering (Power Systems) and Mechanical Engineering.
- Develop the business skills to help distinguish yourself as a leader.
- Learn from a world-class engineering faculty who bring leading theories and active research directly into the classroom.
- Collaborate and network with engineers from around the world in a challenging online environment.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, significant job growth is expected in all areas of our M.S. in Engineering program, with as many as 78,200 new jobs projected in mechanical engineering by 2022, and 62,600 jobs in environmental systems over the same time span. With advanced engineering degrees becoming the standard for career advancement, an M.S. in Engineering will not only hold immediate value in the marketplace, but projects to be invaluable as the industry evolves.
Here are some of the top careers for engineers who hold an M.S. in Engineering, as well as a respective salary outlook:
- Civil Engineer — High salary $122,020, median salary $79,340
- Mechanical Engineer — High salary $121,530, median salary $80,580
- Electrical Engineer — High salary $136,690, median salary $87,920
- Biomedical Engineer — High salary $139,450, median salary $86,960
- Environmental Engineer — High salary $122,290, median salary $80,890
- Data Scientist—High salary $130,000, median salary $100,00**
*Salary statistics provided by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics http://www.bls.gov/. Note that high salary represents the top 10% of earnings in each occupation. Salaries may vary by industry. **Salary statistic provided by Glassdoor.com.
Our world-class faculty membersbring modern insight into the classroom based on active research, and inspire the innovative mindset needed to tackle today’s most complex engineering challenges. The online M.S. in Engineering is a perfect opportunity to match your dedication to science with your goals for career advancement.
What are the advantages of an M.S. in Engineering over an MEM?
- MEM programs are almost solely business focused. Think of the degree as an MBA with an engineering theme. They often don’t have the advanced technical engineering courses or specialization opportunities that our M.S. in Engineering provides.
- An M.S. in Engineering is quickly becoming the educational standard for advanced engineering practice across all industries.If you want to continue to actively work as an engineer and maintain your technical skills, an M.S. in Engineering is the right fit. Our program also gives you the ultimate career flexibility by combining critical business elements with targeted coursework.
The University of California, Riverside has been recognized by a number of academic publications for a variety of different programs and attributes. In 2013, Leiden Ranking named UC Riverside No. 10 in the world for natural sciences and engineering. In its most recent graduate school rankings, U.S. News & World Report counted UC Riverside among the top 33% of engineering schools in the nation. The publication also ranked UCR No. 12 in diversity, an honor that reflects our longstanding commitment to cultural, professional and geographical diversity.
Credits to Complete:36
Semesters to Complete Degree: 3 semesters (or as few as 13 months)
Accrediting Bodies:The University of California, Riverside is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Regional accreditation assures students that UC Riverside meets the highest standards in terms of learning opportunities and a commitment to self-improvement. Regional accreditation for the online Master of Science in Engineering is pending final approval by the WASC.
Residency Requirements: None